Providence, the capital city of the teeny state of Rhode Island in the United States. Lemme share this little city with you as well as prepare myself to remember it before I leave it after my college graduation...

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Layers of light and shadows



Responding to comments from yesterday's blog, YES, the shadows are of kitchen utensils. I must have bad imagination, cos I can't see which shadows look like musical instruments. Can someone pick it out for me, please?

Continuing along my walk in a sunset moment in Providence, I come upon the view of downtown Providence from College Hill. I love the way tree branches breaks the composition, as well as create multiple layers of viewing. This is the perfect place to view downtown! Luckily, I live just a minute from this park. This park, known as Prospect Park is dedicated to Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, whose statue we see in the middle facing the west. The following excerpt comes from Providence's website:

"Efforts to build a memorial to the state's principal founder began in 1850 and made some headway in the 1860s, when Williams descendant Stephen Randall made a deed of gift for a monument to be erected on Prospect Terrace. Nothing happened until the 1930s, when a new memorial association was formed. The design by the members included a monumental staircase climbing the hill from Benefit Street to Prospect Terrace. Unfortunately, only the portion of the memorial on the terrace itself was completed, comprising a rectilinear portal fronted by a massive statue of Williams overlooking the city he founded."

Far away in the distance on your left, there's part of the downtown shopping mall and the train station indicated by the shallow dome below it. To the right is a structure that looks like a grid, and that... I'm not sure what that REALLY is, but people refer it as "The Temple". Right now, it's under some renovation/deconstruction. Moving on... in the middle of the rectilinear portal, you see, yes the dome of the State Capital Building. And to the right are some commercial buildings...

4 Comments:

Blogger santy said...

I think those branches made the picture look even nicer.

1:28 AM

 
Blogger Nicola said...

Nice sunset shot and interesting perspective - it's sort of melting the tree and the gate together.

9:02 AM

 
Blogger Kris said...

a great shot ..love it :)

11:55 PM

 
Blogger Forest Green said...

This is one of my favorite places ...

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home